Parent Teacher Organization PTO
The PTO is organized for the purpose of supporting the education of children at James B Edwards Elementary by fostering relationships among the school, parents, teachers and community.
If you would like to volunteer at JBE, you must first register with Raptor. This includes chaperones for field trips, classroom volunteers, and PTO volunteers.Register
The President is the head of the PTO Executive Board, drives forward the PTO mission and vision, and oversees all of its activities.
- Preside at general PTO meetings and executive board meetings.
- Serve as primary contact to the principal and represent the PTO at meetings of other groups, if needed.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees.
- Retain all official records of the PTO.
- Assist when necessary in any of the various activities the PTO hosts.
- Send out regular communications to the school community.
The Vice President assists the president and plays a role in running the day-to-day operations of the PTO.
- Participate in executive board meetings and provide input for decisions.
- Perform the duties of the president if the president is absent or unable to serve.
- Provides training and leadership support for the committee chair people.
- Serve as bylaws expert.
- Be a liaison for new families.
The Treasurer is the custodian of the parent group's funds through management of budgeting, collection, and budget execution tracking and management.
- Works with executive board and committee chairs to develop annual budget.
- Shall keep an accurate record of receipts and expenditures.
- Collects and tracks fundraising money.
- Writes checks for purchases and reimbursements in accordance with approval of the executive board.
- Tracks and reconciles income and spending on a monthly basis.
- Develops and creates monthly and annual financial reports to maintain transparency.
- Organizes the books for annual audit.
The Assistant Treasurer supports the Treasurer and monthly accounting and deposits.
- Supports the executive board and committee chairs to develop annual budget.
- Shall handle all accounts receivable.
- Count and deposit all moneys received.
- Record to which account the moneys shall be posted.
The Secretary supports record-keeping for the PTO and the communications committee in their outward communications and marketing.
- Supports preparation of agendas for general meetings.
- Record and distribute minutes of executive board meetings and general meetings.
- Maintain a complete file of all approved minutes, agendas, and materials distributed at any official PTO meeting.
Chairs: Korie Ellison / Anna Upbin
The Fundraising Committee is the administrator for all fund-raising activities. They plan, organize, promote, implement and evaluate all campaigns and activities related to the goal of raising money for JBE and its students.
- Maintains the annual plan for the school year and establishes an event procedure for each event
- Organizes spirit nights, box tops, "give-back" organizations along with a yearly Capital Campaign
- Monthly Spirit Nights
- Capital Campaign
- Spring Auction
Community Building Committee
Chair: McRae Hogan
The Community Building Committee is designed to participate in and create events that bring the broader JBE community together, including current students, prospective students, and neighbors. These are free events to build camaraderie and awareness for our school.
- Leads the team in planning and coordinating all Community Events
- Organizes Fall and Spring events as well as decorating and participating in the annual Mt. Pleasant Christmas Parade.
- Back to School Welcome (ex. Popsicles on the Playground)
- Fall Event
- Mt. Pleasant Christmas Parade
- Spring Fun Run
Chairs: Maureen Harmon / Kimberly Crane
The Beautification Committee is designed to support both exterior and interior beautification for the JBE school.
- Developing new ideas, submitting budget requests, and executing volunteer efforts to improve the aesthetic of the school internally and externally.
- Coordinating a volunteer schedule to water the exterior potted plants.
Faculty Relations Committee
Chair: Shannon Rice
The Faculty Relations Committee is designed to support staff needs and wants throughout the year. The committee supports the faculty through celebrations/events, volunteer signups, room parents, etc.
- Leads the committee in planning staff appreciation week, staff meals, treats, and volunteers
- Works with Communications to recognize staff members throughout the year
- Staff Appreciation Week
- Room Parents
- Recess Duty
- Teacher Cart
- Staff Meals
Chair: Rebecca Sailor
The Communications Committee encompasses the outward communication and marketing of the PTO through various methods. It also oversees school supplies.
- Manages and distributes communication and marketing of PTO information to the JBE community via the website, email social media, bulletin boards, and newsletter.
- Determine and refine the most appropriate methods and frequency of communicating with members.
- Weekly newsletter
- Social media postings as needed
- School supply drive
2021 – 2022 PTO Budget Snapshot - Funding Per Area